This is not going to be an opinion piece on whether or not one should participate in the shopping experience of Black Friday, instead it is going to be a look at the season that Black Friday rings in … Christmas!
Christmas is by far my favorite holiday. I look forward to it all year and love everything surrounding it - cold, snow, lights, gifts, and some great books for read-alouds and just for fun. There are also a number of movies I have to watch again each year because they symbolize everything Christmas is about or at least are highly entertaining.
In this first section I want to mention a few read-alouds my family enjoys:
1. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson - this is a fun seven chapter read that is funny and hart-warming. The Herdmans with their cigar smoking and swearing are hard to forget characters who entertain each time we read it.
2. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - While many kids know the movie, oftentimes they haven't been introduced to the rich language the novel holds. It is a great read-aloud and a good reminder on what the Christmas season is all about.
In this next section I want to share a few favorite Christmas movies:
1. It's a Wonderful Life - this is a favorite for so many reason…I love George Bailey and his reluctant heroism. This is always a holiday season must.
2. A Muppet Christmas Carol - this hilarious take on Dickens classic is worth it again and again. Rizzo the Rat and Gonzo are a great entertaining duo as they relate such a classic tale.
3. Holiday Inn & A White Christmas - These movies relate to one another and are a fun movie-marathon night. Bing Crosby's voice is associated with Christmas for me and I can never get enough over the holidays.
Are there any books or movies your family loves for the holidays?