Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Internship


Greetings from the land of 10,000 lakes!

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Anissa Martin and I am just beginning on this journey of virtual internship with the Saranac Lake Free Library. This means that, thanks to technology, while I reside in Minneapolis, Minnesota I am able to connect with you all in Saranac Lake, New York.

Speaking of virtual, I am currently a distance education student at the University of Alabama working on my Master’s degree in Library and Information Science. The library and all it holds has always been one of my favorite places. During the process of working on and completing my first Master’s degree in Missouri, I stumbled upon a part-time job working as a reference assistant in an academic library—I fell in love! It was like a light bulb went off and I discovered the perfect profession for me. I am currently in my second year and with each class and opportunity (like this internship) I am reminded again how much I love this profession and how well it fits who I am.

While not working on school, I am a wife and mother of three. My husband and I have been married 10 years and I have a daughter who is 8, a son who is 7, and another son who is 3. I also have a one-year-old German Shepherd/Malinois named Hector. They are wonderful, energetic, and keep me busy (husband included). I also teach as an adjunct professor at a local private university.

Over the course of 10 years of marriage I have lived in Michigan, South Korea, Indiana, Tennessee, Missouri, and now Minnesota. I grew up in Michigan and am a northern girl through and through. I love seasons, snow, cold, and all things outdoors. I have not been blessed to see Saranac or the Adirondacks, but after researching the area it is another place on my list. It is beautiful and offers great opportunity to enjoy and interact with nature. I am looking forward to learning more about the area through this internship and interacting with all of you.

I am looking forward to getting to know the Saranac Lake community through this blog and Facebook. I hope you all will come along with me on this journey.

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis (or, in my case, coffee)

No comments:

Post a Comment